Honey Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins

Honey Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins

I’ve been wanting a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for the longest time.  Chris promised I can have one when we moved to our new house.  And he’s a man of his word. (Thank you sweetie! :))  I found a really good deal at Costco last week and picked one up.  I finally broke it in today and made a batch of honey meyer lemon olive oil muffins.  It took less than five minutes to mix once all the ingredients are in there.  I can’t believe I went on this long without this mixer! It’s totally worth it and my favorite appliance in the kitchen right now.  I look forward to making more goodies soon!

Honey Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins

• 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/3 cup of organic honey
  • 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • zest from 1 meyer lemon
  • 2 teaspoons of homemade lemon extract
  • turbinado sugar for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Line baking cups in the muffin pan.

Using a stand mixer add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix well and set aside.

In a medium bowl combine honey, olive oil, yogurt, eggs, lemon zest and lemon extract.  Whisk together until well combined.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Mix until wet and dry ingredients are combined.  Don’t overmix.

Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan.  Each cup should be mostly full.  Sprinkle turbinado sugar on top of each muffins.

Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the cake tester/toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Let the muffins cool for 5-7 minutes in the muffin pan before transferring them to the cooling rack.

Adapted from Pinch My Salt

Honey Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins

Comments

Love the sound of these, especially as there’s very little sugar – that white poison I can’t deal with. And I just love anything to do with lemons.
    There are still so many necessary kitchen gadgets I still don’t have!

Thanks! My sugar is a bit on the brown-ish color, as it is organic. Is it still poison? 😉 I know what you mean –I always feel the need to cut back on the sugar whenever I bake. I never thought I would care for a mixer until I injured my back baking. This mixer is a godsend! :)

Holy moley, Anne! What a genius combination! Olive oil is so fabulous in imparting such great flavor and moistness … honey, yogurt, Meyer lemons too? Oh, I can’t wait to try these — thanks so much for sharing — I can almost taste them too =)

You are going to enjoy that mixer so much! I have had mine just about a year and I find it to make life easier in the kitchen. I love anything citrus so those lemon olive oil muffins look divine!

Those sound so good… I love putting yogurt and lemon in all baked treats ever… I bet they’re not too sweet either, since they use honey instead of sugar. Lovely! :)

Thanks Allison! I also had 1/2 cup of sugar in it, including the honey but with the amount of flour that was used –it wasn’t overly sweet. :)

I love anything that has the word Lemon in it’s title. These look delicious. I use olive oil in most of my cooking but never in baking – am excited to see how this works. Yum!

Hoorah for the stand mixer! Definitely on my list as well. These muffins look great! I love anything and everything lemon. I also want to check out the homemade lemon extract. Great post :)

I know everyone always frowns on using olive oil in baked goods, but I have to tell you a little secret there is many times I have to substitute olive oil in my baked goods as that is all I have in the house. I think in some things it is really nice. I also love the addition of the yogurt to make your muffins moist.