Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

I love weeks where there is a holiday.  It makes the week go by either fast or extremely slow.  This week is going by quickly! When I used to have a 9-5 job, those weeks are the toughest, as they dragged on and it took the weekends forever to arrive.  Now that I’m a homemaker/food blogger, every day goes by fast!

Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

I may have told you this before but I’m a mushroom lover.  I always try to incorporate them into my dishes whenever I can.  I find that people tend to lean towards a lover or a hater of mushrooms.  In this household, we’re lovers! And if you love mushrooms, you’ll certainly love this dish.  Especially when there is bacon involved.  It’s quick, flavorful and tasty! Who doesn’t love that? Happy Hump Day!

Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

• 2 – 2 1/2 pounds of fresh wild mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (I used a mix of fresh shiitake, crimini and chanterelle)
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 6 slices of good quality bacon, cubed (I used Black Pig)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 2/3 cup of white wine (I used a Chardonnay)
  • 1 (16 ounce) package of fusilli, cooked to al dente and drizzled with olive oil so it doesn’t stick
  • 1 cup of heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons of fresh tarragon, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped + extra to sprinkle on top

Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

In a large skillet over medium high heat add olive oil and mushrooms.  Sauté mushrooms until brown then season with salt and pepper.  Transfer to a bowl; set aside.

In the same skillet, add bacon, chopped onions and garlic.  Cook bacon until brown and onions are soft, about 7-10 minutes.  Pour wine into the skillet and let it bubble and reduce, about 2-3 minutes.  Then add cooked fusilli, mushrooms and heavy cream.  Toss to combine.  Then stir in tarragon and parsley until everything is incorporated.  At this point the pasta is ready.  Check for seasoning before serving.  Garnish pasta with extra chopped parsley.

Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon

The mixture of mushrooms sound divine! The first time I had fresh shiitake mushrooms, I couldn’t believe how good they taste, and how different from dried. These photos definitely helped me get over hump day!

I love mushrooms so much as well! They’re great on just about everything! 😉 Can’t wait to try this xx

I always liked mushrooms. As a kid I was only exposed to the white button kind in the form of a pizza topping. Anne introduced me to all kinds of different types of mushrooms and I couldnt believe how many different varieties there were.

Why does everyone love the mushroom?
    Because he’s a real fungi. 😀

The combination of mushrooms and bacon are perfect and I really love that the mushrooms out-number the pasta. A lovely dish through and through made even more interesting with the variety of mushrooms you’ve incorporated.

We are definitely mushroom lovers in this house!! Big time. And I just bought a bag of fusilli pasta today …. I think this dish and I were meant to be : )

Oh…I’m crazy for mushrooms too…any kind of mushrooms. :) This Fusilli with Wild Mushrooms and Bacon looks scrumptious and definitely my kind of comfort food. The bacon pieces are looking gorgeous too.

I love mushrooms too, with pasta. And who doesn’t go for bacon? So this dish totally speaks to me. What a lovely combo of flavors – thanks so much.

I used to have days like that at my old job. Now my current job just flies by and the weekend is here before I know it! Oh how I would love to be a stay at home food blogger. Now that would be great! :)

Loving this recipe, Anne. I have a pack of mushrooms that need to be used. You’ve inspired me to make something great with them! Pinned!

Mushrooms and bacon are such a great pairing for pasta, Anne, and your dish does it very well. I’ll certainly be giving this a try. Now where did I put that fusilli? :)

10. Juliana says

Wow, what a great pasta dish, love that is loaded with bacon and mushrooms…yum!
    Hope you are enjoying your week Anne 😀

Your first photo is so good…it looks like I could take a fork and sneak one of those mushrooms out of your dish. :) My husband and I agree with you about how good mushrooms are.

Mushrooms, bacon, garlic, wine, cream…oh my goodness, how can you go wrong? And I bet the tarragon is a great complement to those flavors. This sounds completely delicious, and your photos are beautiful! Thanks so much for the recipe!

I’m totally the same way- I always add mushrooms to any dish! I love their taste and can always use another veggie in my meal :) This sounds so so good. My husband is in his marathon training now so I can always use another tasty pasta recipe! I like how this has rich ingredients but still seems sort of light.

You are so right, Anne! Time seems to go by so fast now that we don’t have the real jobs any more. But, I love the long holiday weekends because I have no specific agendas and can just go with the flow.
    I love this mushroom dish…and with bacon! My boys (and Justin) is going to love this dish for dinner! I’m putting it on the menu this weekend. Love how simple and easy it is to whip up. Have a great weekend…go get your lazy on! Because I will…after I finish canning all of the rest of tomatoes! (=

I am chuckling to myself about your account of a holiday week changing time, because this week has been both insanely slow and breakneck fast! It’s been hard to find time to make decent meals, so this pasta is perfect for a week like this.

I’m truly a mushroom lover, too…so this pasta looks incredible. The hubby, on the other hand, does not like “fungus.” But he could have part of my bacon and I’d eat all of his shrooms! I like that plan!

I’m sorry I’m of the latter! The only ones I do like are the white ones. It’s not a flavor issue but a texture one. All in all I bet this is delicious even without them!

Anne, my mouth is salivating as I look at this. I’m a mushroom lover as well. Can’t wait to try this, all the herbs and the bacon that you use in this sounds awesome! Pinning. Thanks for sharing at Show Stopper Saturdays!

Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats