Pumpkin Chili

Pumpkin Chili

Hi everyone! Sorry for the lack of posts.  I’ve been battling a head cold and have been slow on writing my posts and comments.  I hope everyone had a great weekend! Chris and I had a busy one.  We went up to Healdsburg Saturday to pick-up our wine shipment and had lunch.  It was an all day affair.  The drive took longer than both activities combined.  Then on Sunday, we hosted brunch at our place.  It was a busy weekend and on Sunday evening, I started feeling some sinus congestion and fatigue.  I’ve been catching Z’s here and there on the couch and every time I awoke, I felt even more tired and my head felt foggy and dizzy.  It was not a good feeling.

Pumpkin Chili

I made this pot of chili before I got sick and am wishing I had some right now! There’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of something warm and comforting in front of your nose.  A pumpkin chili is so perfect this time of the year.  There’s a lot of pumpkin ingredients going on here — pumpkin ale, pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice.  It was autumn in a bowl! Be sure to put this one in your dinner rotation this week, if you dig pumpkin and stay warm!

Pumpkin Chili

• 1 pound of ground beef
  • 1 pound of sweet Italian sausage links, casings removed
  • olive oil for cooking
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 pound of bone-in smoked ham steak, roughly chopped
  • 1 poblano pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, finely diced
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
    shredded cheddar cheese
    shredded pepper jack cheese
    sour cream
    fresh scallions, finely chopped
    fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Pumpkin Chili

In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat add olive oil, ground beef and sausages.  Crumble and brown meat.  Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to transfer meat into a bowl; set aside.  Remove any grease left in the pot, if any.

Drizzle olive oil and add onions and garlic.  Cook until soften then add ham steak (including bone) and peppers (poblano and jalapeño).  Season with salt and pepper.  Add tomato paste.  Stir it around then add chili powder, smoked paprika, pumpkin pie spice, ground cumin, coriander, dried oregano, bay leaf, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, pumpkin purée and cooked meat.  Stir to combine.  Then pour the pumpkin ale and scrape the bottom of the pot.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low and leave the lid ajar.  Simmer chili for 30-40 minutes.  Discard bay leaf and ham bone.  Check for seasoning.  Ladle chili into a bowl and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, shredded pepper jack cheese, sour cream, chopped scallions and cilantro, if desired.

Pumpkin Chili

Comments

Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Yum, wine. My husband used to be a member of a “wine of the month” club. We received more than we could drink so we don’t have the membership anymore but we sure love a nice bottle of wine every now and then. :) Rest up and feel better soon!
    I’m crazy for this chili. We are HUGE fans of the dish and I love how you added pumpkin to it. I’m not one for pumpkin in savory dishes but I can totally see it working here. Gorgeous pics!

Sounds like a busy but good weekend, but sorry you got sick! Get lots of sleep and fluids and hope you feel all better real. This chili looks so satisfying and seasonal, Anne. How do you come up with all these recipes?! I like throwing things together when I’m cooking (not baking) and being more free-form but I’m no where so creative. This has so much going for it – I’m sure it’s delish.

3. marcie@flavorthemoments says

I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been sick, Anne! You’re right — warm comforting dishes such as this are the best thing for a cold. I’m loving everything in this chili, and am pinning for the future!

Ugh, I hope you feel better soon! I have what sounds like the same thing, and it is the worst. Some hearty chili would be just what the doctor ordered right now. (You probably already know this but chili freezes SO well, so next time you make this, you should put some in the freezer for a rainy – or sick – day!)

Oh man, I hope that you feel better soon! Being sick is awful. But this chili sounds fantastic! I love trying new variations this time of the year!

Anne knows I love pumpkin anything. It started with pumpkin pie but then it evolved into ice cream, beer, curry, and now chili. I think I really like the pumpkin spices more than anything, it always reminds me of Autumn which is my favorite time of the year.

The pumpkin ale in this is perfect! Really terrific chili – love all the flavors. You’ve given me some ideas, which I’m sure I’ll eventually incorporate in a batch of chili. Thanks so much!

Aaw, I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeling sick Anne, hope you try to get lots of rest and feel better soon sweetie. This pumpkin chili looks so warming and comforting! Pinning, I love all the pumpkin in here – it looks and sounds amazing!

That’s the perfect comfort food for colder days, it just looks so inviting!
    Hope you are feeling better by now.
    What a busy weekend, sounds like you had lots of fun :)

Sorry to hear about your cold, and I hope you get over it soon! On the bright side, this chili looks super cozy and delish. Definitely perfect for a cold day! x

I just came across your blog and boy and I glad I did…this chili looks amazing! Perfect for the season. Thanks for a new way to use pumpkin!

Does this ever sound good and what a great use of pumpkin! Sorry to read, Anne, that you’ve not been feeling well. You’re doing the right thing by getting as much rest as you can and I hope you’re feeling better soon.

So sorry you aren’t feeling well, Anne. I also wish you had some of this Chili right now. It would do wonders for that achy cold of yours. Perhaps you need to mix up an herbal tea to get you through. Here’s a link to a natural decongestant you might want to try.

Your Chili is filled with goodness. It must have been delicious. I can’t think of anything you missed to make such a hearty Chili. Thank you so much for sharing, Anne. Hope you’re feeling better real soon…

Ah I hope you are feeling better by now, Anne! I love this chili, especially that you used pumpkin ale in it. I love the pumpkin ales! This is my favorite time of the year for beers! Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Pinning this. :)

What a tasty chili Anne! I love all those pumpkin flavors you infused into it! So hearty and comforting. I hope you’re feeling better and enjoying your weekend!

Sorry you were under the weather — I’m sure this big bowl of goodness was comforting! I make pumpkin chili all the time but not usually with meat — I know my family will love this version (house full of dudes = carnivores). The pumpkin ale is also great! Thank you so much for linking up at Saturday Night Fever!!