Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

Oxtail soup has always been a favorite of mine.  I didn’t grow up on it but I eat it often enough, as if I did.  My sister made this dish for me years ago and ever since I always make it a point to cook it whenever Chris or I are sick with a cold/flu or when it’s cold out.  It’s not a heavy or chunky soup, it’s a brothy soup with a ton of flavors.  I always make a big pot of it but having it day after day can get boring and tedious.

Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

One day, Chris was home sick and there wasn’t really any food in the house except this pot of soup.  So I decided to throw some rice into the leftover soup pot.  Surprisingly, it came out well.  It was tasty, comforting and quick to make (if you already have this soup).  I took the quick route and used cooked rice.  You can use uncooked rice but you’ll need A LOT of broth to cook this.  Have a great Tuesday!

Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

• 1/2 cup of cooked rice (day old rice works great here)
  • 1 1/2 cups of oxtail soup (I shredded my oxtail meat and added into the porridge once it’s done)
  • scallion, finely chopped
  • fresh cilantro, chopped
  • white pepper

Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

In a small size pot (I used a 1.5 quart pot) combine cooked rice and oxtail soup.  Bring the pot to a boil and then drop the temperature to low.  Let it simmer for 20-30 minutes.  By then, most of the broth will have been absorbed.  Stir the porridge and see if the consistency is to your liking.  If not, add more broth (Mine was fine with this measurement.  Feel free to add more cooked rice or broth if want to make a bigger batch).  Stir in some shredded oxtail meat and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.  At this point, the porridge is ready.  Check for seasoning.  Add chopped scallions and cilantro and sprinkle some white pepper.

Oxtail Congee (Porridge)

Comments

1. marcie@flavorthemoments says

I’ve never had oxtail soup, Anne, but from the looks an sound of yours, I know I’d love it! It looks like a cozy, warm bowl of comfort.

Anne, I have so many of your recipes on my list, I hardly know where to begin. What a wonderful looking dish! I’ve never made oxtail soup (thank you for providing the recipe) & I love how you transformed it into something entirely different. Lovely photographs, as always!

Oh boy, I’m drooling right now. Congee is one of our family’s top comfort foods. I usually make simple beef or pork congee (if I’m feeling adventurous, there might be some thousand-year eggs) but I would imagine oxtail would be a whole other level of deliciousness. I might pretend to be sick just to get this if I was at your house, Anne. : )

Wow, this congee looks so comforting and delicious Anne! We love congee especially during the chillier months but this one sounds amazing and super flavorful with the oxtail soup! It’s been chillier here all week so this would be the ultimate comfort food – oh how I wish I had a big bowl of this right now :)

I love chunky soups and I hate it when good food goes to waste! Lovely way to use up leftover rice, it sounds delish 😀

This looks like a wonderful bowl of soup, Anne, and perfect for the ever-cooler temps coming our way. I can almost feel the steam rising from my bowl. Mmmm.

I absolutely love congee…it’s so comforting in cold weather and when you’re sick! I’ve never cooked with oxtail before but i’ll have to give it a try. This looks positively delicious :)

I’ve had oxtail soup, but never oxtail congee. Looks wonderful! And very creative – love the idea. Thanks.

I’ve actually never had oxtail soup … but it sure does sound delicious! Anything warm and comforting I am all about these days .. it’s getting so chilly!! Have a great night Anne!!

I never had this soup before! Love how you transformed it! It sounds like the perfect cure for whatever ails you – so hearty and comforting!