Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

I know everyone is baking up a storm in their kitchen for the holiday festivities and I’m running behind! I wanted to post one last Thanksgiving related recipe before moving on to the Christmas holidays.  Yes, I’m totally irrelevant.  Please don’t mock me.

Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

We had a lot of stuffing leftover from our T-Day feast so I decided to make some breakfast out of it.  I know as a food blogger you should make things from scratch or at least semi-homemade.  The stuffing this year came straight out of a box and we had a lot of leftovers —figures! But that’s OK.  It made for the perfect breakfast item the next day.  If you’re looking for new ways to make eggs, you’ll want to check this recipe out.  Happy Tuesday!

Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

• 3 ounces of Spanish chorizo, casings removed and diced
  • 1 quarter of a medium onion, chopped
  • olive oil
  • 2 cups of leftover plain stuffing (I used Trader Joe’s but if you made your own stuffing with meat and veggies in it, you can skip the chorizo and onion part and just start pressing the leftover stuffing against the muffin cups to create a “crust”)
  • 6-8 eggs, depending on how much stuffing covered your muffin cups (mine rendered 7 egg cups)
  • freshly cracked pepper

Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease 6-8 baking cups of a standard size muffin pan.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté chorizo and onion in a little bit of olive oil.  Cook until onions soften, about 3-5 minutes.  Then add stuffing.  Stir to combine.  Your stuffing should have a bit of red color from the chorizo fat.  Remove from heat and let it cool for 5-10 minutes or until it’s safe to handle with your hands.

Spoon stuffing into each baking cups.  Using your fingers to pat down the stuffing to cover all surface area in each cup.  Make sure there is no excess stuffing in each cup or your eggs will overflow.  Crack an egg into each cup.

Bake for 20-22 minutes or until desired doneness.  Let it rest for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.  Use a butter knife to loosen the edges in a sawing motion.  Then use a fork and the butter knife together and gently remove each egg cups from the pan.  Sprinkle some freshly cracked pepper on top before serving.

Leftover Stuffing and Chorizo Egg Cups

Comments

I’ve had a lot of good homemade stuffing, but honestly, my favorite is the one from the box! We always have leftover stuffing so this is a perfect way to use it up, especially for overnight guests because you have part of the breakfast already made. These are so pretty, I bet no one would know it was made with leftovers!

These savory muffins are such a wonderful idea. Just finished all my leftover Thanksgiving stuffing yesterday but I will definitely save your recipe for Christmas. Thanks for a great post!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with good store-bought shortcuts and I’m all for semi-homemade, Anne! Especially this time of year – it’s impossible (and no fun…for me anyway) to make everything. Your stuffing cups look terrific. Funny thing – I wanted to make Pioneer Woman’s egg cups with potato hash for a brunch not long ago but I was afraid the eggs wouldn’t set and the whole potato base sounded like a lot of work. I like your version and clearly, those eggs came out perfect. Delish, girl!

I wish you all could have seen the twinkle in Anne’s eyes when she was trying to come up with a way to use up the leftover stuffing, then thought of the egg cup idea. I was watching her every step of the way because I really didn’t know how they would turn out. Elegant and delicious, in my humble opinion. (When she wasn’t looking I added a few dashes of Tabasco on my eggs. Shhhhhh)

Love these egg cups Anne, they look incredible and so tasty! What a fantastic idea to use up leftover stuffing – that’s pure genius :) I actually really like boxed stuffing and see nothing wrong with shortcuts in the kitchen especially if they yield perfect results like these! Pinning this phenomenal recipe and hope you have a fantastic week sweetie :) xo

What a delicious breakfast! My brother is the biggest fan of chorizo, so I’m sure he’d love these! 😉

One can never have too many recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers! Love these egg cups – mainly because I love stuffing and chorizo! Really good recipe – thanks.

8. blahnikbaker says

Ah perfect use of leftover stuffing. I love egg cups for breakfast. They always leave me full till late afternoon.

9. Jayne says

Clever! I love how you used the leftover. That’s the best part about leftover, right? Reinvent something delicious and make it better!

Boy I must be a very poor food blogger Anne, I rarely make anything from scratch or even semi-homemade, lol…As you can imagine, we too had quite a bit of leftover stuffing. I wish I would have thought to make egg cups with it. What a creative idea! I must remember this for next time because as of now, I couldn’t bear to look at another plate of stuffing in any way, shape or form, lol…Thank you so much for sharing, Anne

Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving! :) I always make extra so that there are plenty of left overs. What a great recipe this is for enjoying the already made stuffing in a new and flavorful way!