New York-Style Crumb Cake

New York-Style Crumb Cake

Today is a special day.  It marks my 15-year union with Chris.  And I say union because we were together for 11 years before we got married.  He’s the most loving, understanding, caring and giving man I know.  And I feel so lucky to have him as my partner.

Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography

Like any relationships, we’ve had our shares of ups and downs.  But no matter now bad things got, we never gave up on each other.

Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography

He’s my soulmate (I know, corny!), my best friend, my confidante.  And I want to celebrate many more anniversaries with him.  Love you Chris!

Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography
Photo by Lindsey Cahill Photography

If you’ve been reading my blog for sometime now, you know I’m a huge fan of crumbs.  I have to say, this cake is the crème de la crème of all crumb cakes.  Look at how thick and generous the crumbs are.

New York-Style Crumb Cake

The flour ratio in the crumb topping is way more than the actual cake! Now that’s some serious crumbs.  So if you love crumbs like I do, you’ll love this cake.  Have a wonderful New Year everyone and a fantastic 2014.  See you next year!

New York-Style Crumb Cake

New York-Style Crumb Cake

New York-Style Crumb Cake
Serves: 6
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Crumb Topping:
  • ⅓ cup of granulated sugar
  • ⅓ cup of dark muscovado sugar
  • ¾ teaspoon of ground cinnamon (I used Vietnamese cinnamon)
  • ⅛ teaspoon of salt
  • ½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted and still warm
  • 1¾ cups of cake flour
  • 1¼ cups of cake flour
  • ½ cup of granulated sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon of baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) of unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • ⅓ cup of buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick baking spray. Line it with a sheet of parchment paper leaving a generous overhang for easy removal; set aside.
  2. For the crumb topping: Whisk sugars, ground cinnamon, salt and butter in a medium bowl to combine. Stir in flour with a spatula until mixture resembles thick dough; set aside to cool to room temperature, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. For the cake: Using a stand or electric mixer (or mix by hand) mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt until combined. While the mixer is still running, add butter one piece at a time until the mixture resembles coarse crumb, with no visible butter chunks remaining. Add egg, yolk, vanilla extract and buttermilk. Beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute, scraping the sides if necessary.
  4. Pour batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly with a spatula. Break apart crumb topping into large pea-sized pieces and spread it into an even layer over the batter, starting with the edges and then work towards the center. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crumbs are golden and toothpick/tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the crumb cake to cool completely before cutting into squares.

Adapted from Smells Like Home

New York-Style Crumb Cake

Congratulations on you Union-versary, Anne! Your wedding photos are beautiful and radiate love. To still feel that love years later is a gift. :)
    This is the coffee cake for me! Crumbs MAKE a coffee cake. The more crumbs the better! :)

Happy Union Day! Great pictures. And a great crumb cake – I’m a sucker for these. Yours looks most excellent. Thanks. And Happy New Year!

Anne and Pamela, I’m finding it so common now that couples are being together with each other a whole lot longer than 6 months before getting married. Here in Utah it’s less than 6 months…just so they can consummate the marriage! 😉 Justin and I were the same way! Our 7 year was coming up and I *told* him since we were heading to Hawaii (with family), that we might as well get married down there …I planned it in less than 3 weeks! But, I count and celebrate the years we’ve been together in total (10!).

What a beautiful couple you both are, Anne. Just picture perfect, much like that most gorgeous Crumb Cake. Oh my word!!! I must bake this! I haven’t had a real crummy crumb cake is oh so long! Thank you so much for sharing, Anne. Happy Anniversary!!!

Anne, you and your husband make a really beautiful pair. :-) Happy Anniversary! I knew my husband for 6 years before getting married and we’ve been married for 4 so far. It’s weird how it still feels so fresh and new, right? Here’s to many more anniversaries with Chris! Also, I <3 crumbs about as much as you do. If I can have crumbs over every cupcake, I would. Absolutely cannot resist a tender buttermilk cake with spiced sweet crumbs.

Happy Anniversary! The pictures are gorgeous – you’re gorgeous! I love the one with the boat in the background. I’m a big crumb lover too and this cake is calling my name! Happy New Years to you and your husband! xoxo

Be still my heart! I’m obsessed with all things crumb so this crumb cake is calling my name!
    You are SO beautiful. You and your hubby are so cute together. Happy wedding anniversary and many many more happy years. :) Happy New Years!

Happy anniversary, Anne. How wonderful! I really do love a good crumb cake and this one sounds like a very good one. I really must give it a try. Thanks for sharing and wishing you many more years of happiness together.

Aww your wedding photos are adorable, you both look so great! Happy Anniversary!
    I love love love crumb toppings too, so I’m dying to bake this cake as soon as possible ;–)

Awww….what a lovely surprise to see these beautiful wedding pictures, Anne. You looked beautiful on your special day! It’s so great to put a face (or faces) behind the amazing food. : ) Happy anniversary! Having a wonderful husband myself, I know how you feel about your other half and I’m so happy for you. : ) All the best to you and Chris for the New Year – lots of happiness, love, laughs, and good eats. I know you will provide the latter with no problem. This crumb cake is a great example and yes, please load me up on the crumbs…sooo good! xo

Love the cake, it looks delicious as always! Enjoy your Anniversary and wishing you all the best for the coming new year! So thrilled to see the person behind the blog, what a beautiful couple you are!

This looks delicious Anne! The more crumb the better. Happy anniversary to you and Chris. And oh my gosh! Are you from San Francisco? I’m in Danville! I looked at Lindsey Cahill to be my wedding photographer! But she was booked. Your pictures are beautiful : )

Hi Natalie! I got married in SF but reside over in Oakland. I used to live in San Ramon about 12 years ago so I definitely know where Danville is. :) Lindsey Cahill was in San Ramon when we used her but she has since moved to Santa Ana. Thanks for your lovely comment and for stopping by. Happy New Year! :)

Anne, you are absolutely GORGEOUS! (And, Chris isn’t so bad, either!) I love how you shared your special pictures of your special day with us. (And, this amazing recipe, as always!) Hope you’re having a very happy Anniversary weekend! Big loves!

Aw, I loved seeing these photos from your wedding day! Happy union anniversary!! And I love this recipe – I use the same one as my base for crumb cake : ) Happy New Year!! Cheers to 2014!

Aaw, happy union anniversary Anne! You look absolutely gorgeous!!! You and Chris make a beautiful and adorable couple – your wedding photos are stunning :) Hope you and Chris have an amazing time celebrating – here’s to many more years of happiness, love and laughter :) This crumb cake looks incredible! Oh my goodness and I love how thick the crumb topping is – the more the better :) Wishing you and Chris a wonderful 2014 and Happy New Year sweetie! xo

Your wedding photos are stunning, Anne! Happy anniversary to you both. I’m a fan of anything with a crumb topping as well and your recipe would be well-received here on a Saturday morning, that’s for sure!

Best wishes to you both on your anniversary and in the coming year!

Anne – What a fabulous post! Such lovely photos. Coincidentally, our anniversary is today, NY Eve – so not far off from yours. Except our wedding photos are taken in the freezing cold (NJ) :-)

And I love the crumb cake. I was just fretting over the fact that I cannot find my mother’s crumb cake recipe, which looked just like this one! So, until I find it, I am going to roll up my sleeves and try yours, which looks so delicious.

I hope you had a great anniversary and wish you an exciting new year!

This is funny because I was just in NY! Congratulations by the way that is so amazing, you two look so happy together! This crumb cake looks fantastic! Happy New Year when it comes!

Your wedding photos are beautiful. Congratulations on your anniversary! You are very blessed to have found a wonderful man and a life partner indeed – treasure it. Your crumb cake looks delicious – I will definitely try your recipe. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Oh Anne! How sweet! And I do mean you, not the crumb cake. Happy Anniversary!! And Happy New Year! All the best to you in 2014! And yes, your crumb cake does look sweet! :-)

Happy Anniversary to you, Anne & Chris! What a handsome couple you both make. I bet both of you are grateful your paths met. Gratitude in marriage is worth its weight in gold! It’s all about love and giving…like this fabulous coffee cake with extra crumbage! (New word.) Thanks for sharing, my friends. Happy New Year to you both and your families!

Dear Anne,
    – Happy New Year! I wish you and yours health, happiness, joy and L♡VE for 2014 and beyond.
    Speaking of L♡VE, Happy Anniversary! Gorgeous Bride & Groom, and beautiful photos.
    – Your blog looks so outstanding/professional, with one creative recipe after another,
    Something is keeping you busy lately… don’t see your avatar much. Of course I understand how time consuming blogging is. Looking forward to your new creations.
    xoxo Fae.

Happy belated anniversary, Anne! Thank you for sharing those stunning photos with us — they are just incredible, and of course I love the San Francisco views! The photos of your crumb cake are stunning as well, and it looks dee-licious! Hope you had a wonderful celebration and holiday season. :)