A while back, I bought a jar of Roasted Garlic Onion & Fig Jam. I used it in everything I could think of. Sandwiches, salad dressings, quick pan sauces, and on my cheese platters. The jam is long gone so I was inspired to make an at-home version. Since figs are in season —why not?
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound of fresh figs, chopped (I used black figs but you can use any figs that look good at the store)
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped and chopped
- 1 small dried bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup of dark muscovado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried sage
- 1/2 meyer lemon, zested
- 2/3 cup of port
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Cook until translucent.
Add figs, thyme, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, sugar, dried sage, lemon zest, port and let it come to a gentle bubble. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Discard cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
Transfer to a sterilized jar and let it cool. Cover and store in the fridge.