Kimi told me the best bacon she had was the Black Pig bacon out in Sonoma. She had it in some corn bread, which she never eats or likes. It was so good, she got a package. The other day, I spotted some at the market so I bought it. I thought it would be fun to bake with it and when the weekend rolls around, I can have it for breakfast.
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of dark muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 strips of bacon (I used Black Pig bacon), chopped
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 generous handfuls of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 12-ounce beer, room temperature (I used a wheat beer)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of bacon fat
In a small pan over medium heat, brown bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Set aside and let it cool.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking cups in the muffin pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, bacon, peppers and cheese. Stir in the beer, olive oil and bacon fat. Mix well but be sure not to overmix.
Spoon batter into the lined muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until the cake tester/toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Transfer muffins to cooling rack.