We’ve been having sporadic rain here the last couple of weeks. It would be gorgeous and sunny one day and the next —rain and wind! So I decided to make a pot of chicken stew (I always have boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my freezer) to warm our bellies. When I made this, I was in a bit of a rush so I didn’t bother cutting my chicken into pieces but feel free to do so if you prefer small pieces instead. If you are not into beans, potatoes would also work well. It’s the perfect meal to curl up on the couch with on a cold and miserable day.
- 4 ounces of Spanish chorizo, casings removed and chopped
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed
- salt and pepper to season
- all-purpose flour for dredging the chicken
- olive oil for cooking
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 3/4 cup of white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (optional)
In a dutch oven over medium high heat, brown chorizo with a little bit of olive oil. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a plate lined with paper towel.
Lightly season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Add a bit of olive oil and butter in the dutch oven and brown chicken on both sides. Transfer chicken to a large bowl.
Add onions, garlic and olive oil (if needed) and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add oregano, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the white wine, scraping up any browned bits. Let it bubble and reduce, about 2 minutes. Then add stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, cannellini beans and basil. Bring the pot to a boil and reduce heat to low. Return chorizo back to the pot and stir to combine. Then return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot. Leave the lid slightly ajar and let it simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Check for seasoning before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve this with rice.